[pmwiki-users] PmWiki configuration via PmWiki (was: Action lists in skins)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Apr 20 17:03:19 CDT 2005

At 2005-04-20  10:51 PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz is rumored to have said:
>Hmm... I do agree that having configuration in wiki pages is generally a
>good idea. And it's not just limited to the question of how to separate
>action lists from skins, it's a general thing.
>
>Some things definitely must be done within config.php - stuff like setting
>up $ScriptUrl that makes sure that you can access the site in the first place.
>
>However, most of the things that are currently done could be done via wiki
>pages. PmWiki already can accept input from a HTTP connection and store it
>in files, so why not move everything (except those very basic things) into
>pages?

I am not sure that anything more than the menu bars (action lists) would
benefit from being in wiki pages.

I like having all of the configuration centralized and heirarchical. It is
clear to me that something in a local config file will override (say) the
farm config file. If I had to configure a farm, would having a bunch of
pages be an advantage over having one config file per field? And how would
inheritance work on these pages?

There is a reasonably clear distinction between things that configure the
operation of the wiki and things that change its appearance or content. I
count the menu/action bars as part of the latter, even though they do
provide control for the wiki.

Would a bunch of configuration pages increase the server load for each page
delivered? Or would they just be an interface to a single config file,
rendered once when a configuration page was saved?

What might be useful to a new admin would be some kind of webmin-like
interface. Having said that, I am running Apache on WIndoze which does not
have a webmin interface, and I quite like the control I have and the
understanding I *think* I have of Apache options inside the config file.
Maybe I'm just delusional or strange that way ...

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668