[pmwiki-users] PmWiki configuration via PmWiki (was: Action lists in skins)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 17:00:23 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:51:08PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> 5) For me, it's unclear whether configuration pages should use PHP,
> PmWiki, or skin syntax. I'd prefer to have just one syntax for all
> configuration, but that may be impossible to achieve, or simply impractical.
>
> What does everybody think?

I posted my opinion on this in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00394.
The bottom line is that since we can't get rid of configuration in PHP,
in general it's better to stick with PHP syntax except in those cases
where some configuration component needs to be managed by multiple
authors/admins (e.g., blocklists, sidebars, and translations) or where
the non-PHP syntax is clearly superior to anything that could be done
in PHP (e.g., skins).

Right now I would put action lists in the "best managed through a
wiki page" component, because the syntax for doing it there is
so much cleaner than what can be done through PHP.