[pmwiki-users] Slight problem with wiki trails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 12:20:30 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:58:30PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noted an infelicity about how wiki trails are currently delimited.
>
> Take a look at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CompareFormsRecipes . It
> has a bullet list for the recipes that it compares, and another bullet
> list for contributors [...]
> which, obviously, is not what we want.
>
> I'm not sure what's the best way to handle this. The options that I see are:
>
> 1) Invent a (:trail:)...(:trailend:) markup that should go around the
> part of the page that should be used as a trail.
> 2) Use only the first bullet list for the trail.
> 3) Ignore the problem.
> 4) Well, maybe I simply overlooked some simple markup that would solve
> the problem. This wouldn't be the first time ;-)

4a) For short lists such as this, simply insert something null in the
bullets that prevents the page links from immediately following
the bullet.  For example, I've just changed the page to:

    * %notrail% [[~jr]]
    * %notrail% [[~Radu]]
    * %notrail% [[~JoachimDurchholz]]

The "notrail" is actually just for show -- any WikiStyle after the
bullet would prevent these pages from becoming part of the trail.
One can even do

    * [==] [[~jr]]
    * [==] [[~Radu]]
    * [==] [[~JoachimDurchholz]]

In other words, just make sure the page link isn't the first thing
encountered after the bullet.

4b) Convert the trail to a ring, so that the first item is repeated
at the end of the trail:

    * WikiForms
    * BuildForms
    * FormGuideSystem
    * EnableHTML
    * WikiForms

This causes the page after EnableHTML to be WikiForms instead of the
link to jr's profiles page.  If you don't want WikiForms displayed
twice on the page, use:

    * WikiForms
    * BuildForms
    * FormGuideSystem