[pmwiki-users] Word wrap problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 19 14:52:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:23:05PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> None of this really solves the problem, which is:
>
> *It is the end user towards who sets the line width.* Implicitly, via
> the width of the browser window.

This isn't universally true.  I've seen lots of (commercial,
award-winning) sites that fix the horizontal width of the display
to a value such as 760 pixels or something such that the width of
the browser window doesn't matter.

I'm not saying this is good design, I'm only pointing out that there
are web administrators who don't care if the width of the page
ends up being slightly larger than the width of the browser window.

Clearly the existing default in PmWiki sometimes forces a
horizontal width that doesn't look good in any browser, which is why
word wrap of preformatted text makes sense for some sites.

> The *only* thing that I could think of would be a wrap-with-indent
> solution. I.e. whip up some CSS that makes sure that the indent is
> preserved when the line is forced to wrap.

Sorry, there's a certain monopoly browser that doesn't support this.