[pmwiki-users] Re: Solution converting ISO-8859-1 wikifiles to UTF-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 17 18:21:00 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:11:09AM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 02:06, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>
> It's interesting to know that Aggies have the biggest PmWiki, but is not
> everything in Aggie-land biggest in the world - after all, TX is bigger than
> USA, as many maps in Austin will testify.

Actually, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is a separate university
from A&M-College Station, although they're both part of the same
university system.  So, A&M-Corpus Christi are "Islanders", not "Aggies".
(I make this point only because I've never had any aspirations to be
an Aggie.)

> On a more serious note, I think that it would be useful to have a separate
> forum (mailing list, or a PmWiki forum, or even a PmWiki newbies-Group, or
> even just a simple "flag" in the subject field) for newbies discussion?

It may indeed be getting to that time.  When we first started pmwiki-users
there was discussion about having a separate "development" list, but
the traffic at the time didn't warrant two separate lists.  That may have
changed now.

But still, I think having a PmWiki forum on the wiki itself might be
more useful for newbies.

> how can a simple minded fellow [...]
> have the audacity to interrupt the flow of programming suggestions and
> thoughts with some mundane question that has been resolved weeks or months
> ago, but for which he/she can not find an answer?

Simple!  Open an email client, compose a message to pmwiki-users,
press "Send".  :-)

> Our PCUG organisation is full of stogie oldies, who are intimidated by the
> very nature of wiki freedoms that allow edit by someone else their writing.
>
> It would have been less intimidating to first introduce them to a
> local Forum, than a wiki.  What are our chances of having an enhanced
> PmWiki based forum...?

I believe PITS #00045 (http://www.pmwiki.org/PITS/00045) will take care
of this.  It's on the "ToDo" list, which means I hope to have it
in the 2.0.0 official release.