[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:12:05 CDT 2005

As you can tell, I've been having to give all my attention to the real
world for too long... ;-)

On 4/8/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 2005 6:40 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

> > That would be because beginning skin developers don't understand what
> > the $[brackets] do or how they work.  Why would they?  "The template
> > is just HTML, right?"  Would $[brackets] magically disappear in
> > HTML? No.  So to make sure that their skin looks right, they take
> > them out. I did.
>
> Ah, then that's a design buglet in the semantics of $[...].

Yeah, plus the skin development pages don't mention what they do.

> Proposal: if $[...] doesn't find a translation, it should simply leave
> the original text in and drop the $[...] around it.

[snip]

I'm too ignorant on how the translations work to have good-quality
ideas, so I'll leave it up to the people who translate things. :)

> BTW if you want other texts than the standard ones, simply do an
> English->English XLPage. I.e. you "translate" from "Printable view" to
> the shorter "Print" :-)
> Well, more precisely, it would be a translation from English to
> "Bronwyn's Best Practice English for PmWiki pages", so this isn't as
> silly as it might sound.

Yeah, I'd been thinking that I should do that.  Then I'd find out how
much work it is (or isn't) to set that up.  I'm not sure if people
will publish skins which do it that way, though.  It would depend on
how hard it is to write and setup, both for the developer and the wiki
admin on the other end.  (Note: it gets harder when you need to unzip
things into several different directories, because it can't be done
automatically for all configurations.)

Bronwyn