search engine beware! Was: Re: [pmwiki-users] notice of current edit

Robin robin at kallisti.net.nz
Fri Apr 15 08:47:08 CDT 2005

On Saturday 16 April 2005 01:18, Radu wrote:
> Since no sane individual can see two different pages in the same
> second, not to mention edit them, there is a way to differentiate
> between search engines and actual wiki authors: log the timestamp of
> the previous access from each IP. If it's smaller than a settable
> interval (default 2s), then do not honor requests for edit. For an even
> stronger deterrent, to save processor time when the wiki is supposed to
> be hidden, we could also add an $Enable switch to keep from honoring
> ANY request to fast-moving IPs.
This particular situation isn't very good. A number of times I'll open a
bunch of links in a new tab (just run down the page middle clicking on
interesting looking things). This would clock up as multiple accesses in
a short space of time.

Also, most search engines hit pages relatively slowly to be nice.

In the interests of being constructive however, you could maintain a list
of user agent strings to block.

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>             JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8  7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D