[pmwiki-users] PITS 00417 WikiGroup Mirroring

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Mon Apr 11 09:55:49 CDT 2005

At 05:55 AM 4/10/2005, Monty wrote:
>Thank you sincerely for your time and thoughts, in reply to my earlier
>note regarding the proposed " WikiGroup Mirror " feature.

welcome :)

> > And mirroring for backup purposes seems a bit resource-intensive.
>
>If the mirror is performed only once annually, or once monthly, it may not
>be resource intensive at all!

Oh, ok. I thought you wanted something half-hourly or per-change.

If the rate of mirroring is so low, you implement the Backup recipes, the
wiki Author simply uses it and the Restore one (they'll have to know how to
ftp)

OR you write some shell script to be ran on crontab, which do what these
recipes do. I wouldn't entrust ftp passwords to automated scripts, though.

After all, it's a simple matter of copying a bunch of files from one place
to another. As a datacenter admin, you could write those scripts and update
the two recipes for other people who also like their wiki mirroring/backup
automated :)

> > That being said you could write a shell ftp script on the platform
> > you're working with (I know ways for Dos, Win, older MacOSes and Unix)
> > to use a text document to batch-ftp a set of pages.
>
>You completely miss the point.  Go back and reread the justifications and
>criteria, because this was specifically addressed.  One of the
>requirements for the project is that the mirroring can be done by a
>non-technical WikiUser to whom the WikiAdministrator entrusts with a
>simple password and URL.  Keeping it simple!! :~)

Yes, simple. The admin writes the script and the wiki Author uses it.

Are you saying that you need help in writing the mirroring code? If so,
we'd need details about the platform you use.

>Is PITS the wrong place to suggest cookbook/recipe ideas?

PITS is the perfect place for features people would like. I was just
answering your comment (it could be a recipe or part of pmwiki itself),
with a question. Bad habit. I apologize :)

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)