[pmwiki-users] [[[Link | Text]]] != [Text]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Apr 10 09:08:56 CDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:49:09PM +1000, Nathan Jones wrote:
> Is there a way to do this in version 2, or should I just choose different
> markup?
>
> On my Links page, I have some links with alternatives, like:
>
> * Google [Aus] [Gmail]
>
> The markup I used for this in a version 1 wiki (shown here after
> converting to v2 markup) was:
>
> * [[http://www.google.com |Google]] [[[http://www.google.com.au |Aus]]]
> [[[http://gmail.google.com |Gmail]]]
>
> Is this an expected side-effect of the way PmWiki parses markup, or is it
> a bug?

Well, it's unexpected, but probably not a bug.  PmWiki 2 considers the outer
pairs of double brackets to be the link markup, whereas PmWiki 1 would've
only consider the inner pair.

If you can handle the extra space, try:

* [[http://www.google.com |Google]] [ [[http://www.google.com.au |Aus]]]
[ [[http://gmail.google.com |Gmail]]]

Or you could try:

* [[http://www.google.com |Google]] [[==][[http://www.google.com.au |Aus]]]
[[==][[http://gmail.google.com |Gmail]]]

which I admit looks totally ugly.

I don't have a good answer at the moment, and I can see how this would
be something an author would want to write.  I may just need to fix the
[[...]] markup to be smart enough to know that the first character
of the link cannot be another '['.