[pmwiki-users] WYSIWYG editors

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 8 09:27:08 CDT 2005

Hi,

I was just idly surfing the internet and came across this page:

http://www.cmsreview.com/WYSIWYG/OpenSource/Directory.html

It's a list of Open Source WYSIWYG Through-The-Web Editors. Maybe one of
them can be used for PmWiki.

Here's a short write-up of those which may be useful and those which
probably aren't (+ for useful, o for don't know, - for unsuitable). I
have classified editors that have "too many" features as unsuitable;
throwing out stuff is usually far more difficult than adding stuff.

Aine anyHTML                   - IE only.
Bitflux                        o XML only.
CAMPFIRE                       - Needs Java plugin.
Cross-Browser Rich Text Editor o IE 5.5+ or Mozilla 1.3+.
                                o Just Rich Text.
Easy Web Editor                - IE only.
Epoz                           - Zope only.
FCKEditor                      o XHTML only.
htmlArea                       o IE 5.5+ or Mozilla 1.3+.
                                o HTML only.
IE Editor for Zope             - IE only. Zope only.
Kupu                           + Already integrates into several CMS.
                                o Claims clean architecture.
                                + Has a plug-in architecture.
                                + Favors CSS over HTML.
Midas                          - Mozilla only.
Mozile                         - Mozilla only.
Solmetra SPAW editor           o HTML only.
                                o Mozilla support is still in beta.
                                + Some customizability.
TinyMCE                        o HTML only.
                                + Some customizability.

I took a look at Kupu (which seemed most promising given the blurbs). I
was disappointed since the demo didn't even nearly what we need, but
then I realized that it's internal (technical) qualities that count, not
pretty appearances. In other words, evaluating all these editors would
take some serious effort.

Regards,
Jo