[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:18:01 CDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 6:40 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> i18n doesn't work well with action names anyway.
> In fact most of the action entries in skins that I have seen don't use
> i18n at all, and I had to hand-translate them.

That would be because beginning skin developers don't understand what
the $[brackets] do or how they work.  Why would they?  "The template
is just HTML, right?"  Would $[brackets] magically disappear in HTML?
No.  So to make sure that their skin looks right, they take them out.
I did.

> In another, "more normal" case, I saw an action list that was a mixture
> of standard actions (properly enclosed in $[...]) and recipe-specific
> actions written without the i18n stuff surrounding them. I'm not sure
> how to prevent such things from happening in the future.

I've written at least one of those. Most of the "special" stuff was
normal actions with shorter words assigned. :)  My logic was that when
the admin saw the untranslated words, she would check out the tmpl
file, and note that phrases without $[brackets] didn't have any
translations in the standard XLpage files.  Presumably, being more
familiar with XLpage files and her non-English language than I am, she
would fix the problem.

Then, just recently, when I discovered that there was a page
(http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/XLPageCookbookTemplate) to put entries
from recipes, skins, etc, so that they can be added to the XLpage
files, I started adding them there, and hopefully that approach will
do more good.

Bronwyn