[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 16:21:34 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:29:01PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Hmm... what will happen if there is no translation? Will $[...] simply
> pass through its contents then?

Yes, this is in fact what happens to produce the English translation.

> >If we throw too much complexity into the system, then we end up
> >barring (or discouraging) a lot of potential skin creators and site
> >admins.
>
> I agree with that - but complexity can be hidden or boilerplated so that
> it's not a real problem.

Complexity can hidden at certain levels with the cost of increasing
complexity at other levels.  If we can hide complexity for
1000 admins by making it more complex for 1 or 2 developers, then
it's definitely worth looking into.  If we hide complexity for 50
admins by making things more complex for 50 other admins (who don't
even need the feature in the first place), then it's not so clear-cut.

I doubt that many newbie skin designers (especially those who are doing
well just to understand HTML and CSS) would be comfortable with or have
much hope of understanding (or using) the proposed <!--function:Action*-->
items, even with a couple of working "boilerplate" examples.  (And having
them in the basic examples would definitely turn many people off from
making the attempt.) But that's just my opinion based on my experiences
with helping others create skins for their sites.