[pmwiki-users] Farm Testing -- reflect a field across the farm

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Apr 1 13:44:46 CST 2005

I want to practice setting up a farm and leave my present wiki
installation intact. I read through the Farm documentation and am
feeling a bit shy on how well I will do getting it set up wihtout
blowing access or breaking the current wiki that is working just fine.

Some questions:

1. Is it possible to to do a full installation of PMWiki in another
directory and "play with it" while in another directory another
complete installation is also running, will there be any conflict when
users start access both wikis at the same?

2. Once one has  a farm configuration functional, if you are interested
in simply reflecting the configuration of one field across all the
others, where  one is not interested in variant designs across multiple
fields and would like to limit development to one field... how to do
it?

We see this in the docs... but I expected the path the local/config.php
to be outside the farm directory

====
[snip] "however, the farm administrator can override some
field-customizations by explicitly calling the field's config.php files
(this effects all fields), as in:
   <?php
     # Settings performed before field-customizations
     $FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.example.com/pmwiki/pub';
     $Skin = 'pmwiki-farm';

     # load the field's global and per-group customizations
     include_once('local/config.php'); ## this doesn't make sense

## would it now be something like:

	include_once (/SomeOtherFieldWiki/local/config.php';

# where the path is root relative from the top of docroot
# thus pulling the configuration of that particular field that you want
to be farm default
# into the farm config which is then reflected across all fields?

     include_once('local/pgcust.php');

     # Override field customizations here
     $EnableUpload = 0;            # disable uploads
   ?>

======

The goal being to be able to generate "minifields" quickly, set them up
in other directories with .htaccess user-password log ins for certain
kinds of collaboration where you need just not let those people see
what is happening in other fields, but where there is no need for any
local customization in such "minifields" which are purely utilitarian.
e.g. I might want to get some collaboration going with tech support
teams in one company who we barely know and who has no business in
other wikis.

TIA
Sivakatirswami