[Pmwiki-users] PHP Diff Engine

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Sep 22 19:17:12 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 12:37:12AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:

> Yep - I never had problems with this, but in the last two weeks I had
> three friends asking me on this task because they are hosted on a shared
> server where system commands are unavailable. So I strongly vote for
> this as it will make installations a lot smoother.
>
> Which algorithm to use could easily be checked by a benchmark.

Just to recap my previous concerns about PHP-based diff algorithms;
many PHP installations have limits on the maximum amount of memory
available for the script to use -- by default this is usually set to
8 megabytes.  So, if we have a diff algorithm that requires a M x N
table to compare texts of M and N lines, then we can quickly find ourselves
running out of memory when the texts reach a few hundred lines or so.
But I'm guessing that's apparently not much of a problem since nobody
using the PHPDiffEngine seems to have reported it... :)