[Pmwiki-users] PmWiki 1.0.10 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Sep 21 19:51:45 CDT 2004

I've just released version 1.0.10 of PmWiki.  This release changes
the headers that PmWiki sends to control browsers' local caches, and
allows PmWiki to not have to regenerate a page or resend it when
the browser already has an up-to-date version in the browser cache.
This somewhat reduces server bandwidth and processing requirements,
and provides a smoother, faster user experience.

To enable this form of caching, set $EnableIMSCaching=1; in a local
customization file.  Note that with this value set, PmWiki will allow
browsers to use cached copies of pages until a page (any page) is
modified in the wiki.

In particular, if caching is enabled then hitting reload in a browser
window will not show the effects from changes to local customization
files or page layout templates.  This is why the caching is disabled
by default -- so the effects of the cache won't totally confuse new
wiki administrators who hit reload and don't see any effect to their
changes.

Note also that this enables page caching in browsers--it does not try to
cache them on the server.   There are some user-contributed recipes in the
Cookbook that do various forms of page caching; I don't know if this new
caching feature will interfere with those recipes.  Your mileage may vary.

As always, questions, comments, feedback welcome.