[Pmwiki-users] skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Sep 20 15:33:57 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:35:07PM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> I played around using different skins the last time (pmwiki 1) and found it
> somehow difficult to easily create new skin and switch the skin within the
> config.php and page-templates.
>
> What I suggest:
> All skins should have the same name for:
> - pagetemplate (e.g. display.tmpl)
> - printpagetemplate (e.g. print.tmpl)
> - publishedpagetemplate (e.g. publish.tmpl)

I disagree that print templates are necessarily attached or related
to skin templates.  What happens if someone wants to use one form
of display skin and a second form of print skin?  For example, I have
a number of sites with many different display skins but they all
share a common print skin.  The scheme above would require that I
have separate copies of the print.tmpl in each skin directory; making
a change would require me to be sure to copy all of them.

> Then I've to configure $PageTemplateFmt and the references
> to the css-files im pmwiki.tmpl

I agree that updating the page template to use the .css file in
a new location is a bit of a pain.  Because of the many ways
in which $PubDir can be defined (depending on what sorts of ChangePmWikiUrl
customizations are being performed), it's hard to get this right
in a programmatic way, in which case leaving it hardcoded is the
easiest to resolve/debug.

> For more convinience a few more variables should be set according to
> $WikiSkin:
> e.g. $SkinURL =  $PubDirUrl/skins/$WikiSkin/ (for using in display.tmpl)
>
> PageTemplateFmt would be set to $SkinUrl/display.tmpl.

This last part can't work--$PageTemplateFmt refers to a *file* on the
local disk, while $SkinUrl has to be a *URL* that can be processed by a
browser.  The two aren't identical, and sometimes people have their
$PubDirUrl mapping to somewhere other than "pub/" in the PmWiki directory.