[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Partial pagenames in URLs

chr@home.se chr
Mon Sep 20 15:33:09 CDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> I think some of the confusion is because we're not getting the use cases
> right.  I see three use cases:

I'm a bit tired, but I'm having problem making sense of your use cases
below, could you for instance add a URI to the cases? (Or simply check
that my added URI is correct)

	http://www.pmwiki.org/PmWiki/PageThatDoesNotExist

	http://www.pmwiki.org/SomeGroup

	http://www.pmwiki.org/NewGroup

> In all cases, we need to ask, "were you looking for something else, or
> would you like to create the page?".  The difference is in whether the
> user is creating just *a* page or the group homepage.

There's also the detail that he's either creating a new page in an
existing group, or a new page and group. Maybe this should be indicated in
some informative text at the top of the Editing page? Or perhaps directly
in the editing form? For a new page in an existing group we could have:

	Describe NewPage here. This will be a new page in the group 'Main'

For a new page in a new group, the form could say:

	Describe NewGroup.NewPage here. This will also create a 'NewGroup'
	as a new page.

Anyway, this should be enough to give a general idea.

> Pm's put cases 1 and 2 under PageNotFound, and case 3 under
> GroupNotFound.  But going by what kind of page will be created, case 1
> should be PageNotFound, but cases 2 and 3 should be GroupNotFound.

But wasn't the original question that the user would be presented with
several options for creating pages?

> Then having different text will make sense.  Here's some possible text:
>
> Case 1:
> The page _______ doesn't exist.
> Would you like to create ________?
> (Offer other options here)

Oh.. so a special page would be shown also for a "normal" page that
doesn't already exist.

> Cases 2 and 3.
> The homepage for the group _______ doesn't exist yet.
> Create ________.HomePage?
> (Offer other options here)

What about looking for the page in the Main/ group? Is that included in
the use cases above?

/Christian (hoping this will further the discussion)

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr