[Pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

John Rankin john.rankin
Sun Sep 19 23:29:55 CDT 2004

On Friday, 17 September 2004 6:43 PM, Rick Lavin <ricklavin2001 at mac.com> wrote:

>There is just one feature that appears to me to be missing: handling
>bibliographies. It hadn't occurred to me that this could be done in a
>wiki until I came across UniWakkaWiki:
><http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/HomePage> and <
>http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/BiblioTest>. I'm wondering
>whether there's any prospect of this functionality being brought into
>PmWiki. It would seem to fit into the long-term goal of making PmWiki
>into a publishing tool, in addition to all the other things it can do.
>And as a practical thing, a lot of academics spend a lot of their time
>dealing with references, and it would be a major help if we could deal
>with them together with the text we write.

This should be do-able as a local customisation. It could use:

- the forms module to create a bib entry form
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FormTemplateSystemII
  each bib reference is a separate wiki page in a Bib group

- a markup to refer to an entry in a Bib group (like the {{~auth}}
  special markup), pulling in and formatting the reference info

- the footnotes module to build and display a list of footnotes
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FootNotes

Something like that, anyway...

--
JR