[Pmwiki-users] Re: Partial pagenames in URLs

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Sep 16 06:55:48 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:57:47PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > 4. Display a page indicating that the page (group?) they specified
> > >    does not exist, and provide links to either create the new page
> > >    or search the site
> >
> >     http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki2/pmwiki.php/Profiles
>
> Very nice. Suggestion: I think the text could be more descriptive, i.e.
> saying that the page 'Profiles' wasn't found because there is no default
> page of that group.

Well, feel free to modify/improve the page text I have there -- I'm wide
open for suggestions.  However, we also have to be careful that we don't
misinterpret the user's intent and thereby confuse him further --
it may just be that the URL was mistyped.

> > The "PageNotFound" page is itself a wiki page, thus a site administrator
> > can customize the results to appear however he/she wishes or include
> > other options.
>
> oh, nice.. then maybe my comments above should be modified so that there
> are two kinds of 'PageNotFound'-pages, one for each of the cases above?

Perhaps, but we need to be sure we can correctly deduce motive, and I
do want to keep things simple from an administrative point of view.
Adding more special-purpose pages may go against that.   But in this
case we would end up with a "Main.GroupNotFound" for when there aren't
any pages in the group, and a "Main.PageNotFound" for when there are
pages in the group but no group home page, each worded appropriately.

Maybe this extra functionality really belongs as a Cookbook module.