[Pmwiki-users] Show referencing pages

Steffen Glückselig steffen
Tue Sep 14 10:26:49 CDT 2004

Hello,

> To the best of my knowledge, there's not a way (currently, maybe in
> 2.0?), to include a list of referencing pages *within* the page
> itself

If this would be created 'on the fly', i.e. each time for every page, this
would quite slow down the process of generating a page since for having
uptodate backlinks, one would have to parse all the other pages each time
a page is generated.

Have a look at the whatlinkshere-script. This generates a page with all
the pages that reference a given page.

Note, that the generation of this page takes quite some time (even on
small wikis according to my experience).

I thought about changing the whatlinkshere-script so that the backlinks
could be included on every page. I came to the conclusion that I would not
like to have that since I think it would drastically slow down the
surfing-experience, though.

Generating the backlinks-database (e.g. a file where all the references
between pages are stored) periodically in the background and accessing
these results during page-creation would be faster but less uptodate.

Since I prefer uptodate results, I went with the whatlinkshere-script,
generating the backlinks-page on request and not automatically.

regards
Steffen