[Pmwiki-users] WikiTrail modified

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Sep 7 07:40:45 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 03:04:09PM +0200, Eike Decker wrote:
> Hi
> I needed a different format for the wikitrails, so I've replaced a few lines in
> the trails.php to accept a $WikiTrailFmt that describes how the trail should be
> formated (I used css to change the appearing of the links with hoveringarrows
> and other stuff like that and therefore I needed to extend this a little bit).
>
> I would be nice if this idea would be part of future releases.

The traditional way to adapt wikitrails has been to create a custom trailstop
function, as in:

    include_once('scripts/trails.php');

    function CustomTrailStop($link) {
      global $pagename;
      $t = ReadTrail($link);
      // ... rest of code copied from MakeTrailStop here, with modifications
      return "whatever you want the trailstop to output";
    }

    $DoubleBrackets["/<<\\|($TrailLinkPattern)\\|>>/e"] =
      'CustomTrailStop("$1")';

> What I've changed in trails.php:
> SDV($WikiTrailFmt,
>   "<span class='wikitrail'>&lt;&lt; \$prev | \$link | \$next &gt;&gt;</span>");

Calling this variable $WikiTrailFmt is misleading, since it doesn't
get processed by FmtPageName and other $-variables aren't substituted.
We could name it something else (or I suppose we could make it into
a standard FmtPageName-processed string).  Still, I think I prefer
to just have customizations done as custom functions for now...