[Pmwiki-users] Re: remove uploaded files?

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sun Sep 5 13:41:33 CDT 2004

On Sunday, September 05, 2004 11:19 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:23:24PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Jason Moseley wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way I can remove files that I've uploaded without
>>> manually ftp'ing to the site?
>>
>> No, you'll have to contact the administrator (sorry). You can however
>> write it over with a different (empty) file if you like.
>>
>> It's probably better if Patrick explains the reasoning behind this.
>
> ...only that I didn't feel like starting down the slippery-slope of
> a full-fledged file management system.  After implementing "delete
> file" I can see that someone would want different permissions for that
> operation, and then "file rename" and ... well, that gets a bit
> beyond the simplicity I've been looking for.  But if someone else
> wants to implement those features I don't have a real problem with
> it.
>
> Pm

I would surely implement it if I had the appropriate skills set, but I'm
afraid I'm not at that level of php programming yet.  I don't think it's
such a slippery slope if we approach at the same level as files (Wiki
Pages) are currently handled.

There's currently no ownership of WikiPages, only certain read/edit
privleges, and those are on a per group or per page basis.

I'd propose something similar for files.  Even if we don't go that far
with it, I've been waiting for some very simple support for removing
uploaded files for a very long time.

I'd like to see something similar to the current setup for deleting wiki
pages whereby the user edits the page and replaces it with the keyword
"delete", then saves it.  The file is not actually deleted, but it's
effectively hidden from the Wiki, which makes it as good as deleted.

In the case of uploaded files I'm not too sure what we could do.  Maybe
on the ?action=upload page where the dialogue shows the list of files
currently attached to the group/page, we could extend that output with
(form-based, not link based) buttons labeled "DELETE".  The user could
scroll down the list of files, and click on the "DELETE" button.

An "are you sure?" dialogue could pop-up (javascript).  Click yes will
delete (or rename) the file (same as deleting a wikipage does).

That simple functionality would make me very happy.

If someone starts asking to rename files, well, they can always, DELETE,
then RE-UPLOAD the file.

I think MOST of the file-management fuctionality that people would want
would be solved by this simple addition.

Steven Leite