[Pmwiki-users] Editing long pages

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Oct 28 15:57:06 CDT 2004

On Friday, 29 October 2004 2:20 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:02:04PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>> >Along with that, be careful with the ?p=n component--you have to be
>> >sure to handle the case where someone else has added or removed ____'s
>> >from the page while you're editing one of the chunks.  :-)
>> >
>> Well I had vaguely thought, insofar as I had thought at all, that
>> it would go like this:
>> - get a page and break it into pre-chunk, chunk, post-chunk
>> - author edits chunk and presses post
>> - assemble pre-chunk, new chunk, post-chunk
>> - [...]
>>

>One "simple" solution to this *might* be to make 'pre-chunk' and
>'post-chunk' into hidden fields of the edit form, so that PmWiki
>doesn't have to recompute them when the post occurs, but doing it
>this way may be making a strong (and incorrect) assumption about
>browsers' ability to store hidden fields with very long string values.
>I need to see what the W3C standards say about this (and if modern
>browsers set any limits on this), because this would make it really
>easy to implement an "edit section" capability.
>
>Pm

This was precisely what I had intended. I envisaged that the ____
markup would insert an 'Edit Page n' link at the top of the displayed
page. I thought it ought to be 'really easy' but hadn't looked at
the implementation details. The 'Edit Page n' link would set the
p= prechunk and postchunk; and we test whether p is set if action
=edit. Something like that...

--
JR