[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Categories instead of hierarchies?

chr@home.se chr
Thu Oct 28 09:08:25 CDT 2004

On 28 Oct 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> On Wednesday, 27 October 2004 8:34 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>
> >I think [[...]] should be a link, but I want to be able to mark a page as
> >belonging to category without creating a link. Using %Comment%[[!XYZ]]%%
> >seems nonintuitive for that purpose. But how about this:
> >
> >  (:!XYZ:)	- Mark page as belonging to XYZ
>
>    how should this be rendered?

It shouldn't be rendered... the only purpose is to mark the page as
belonging to category XYZ. I would like to be able to separate between the
logical action of saying that a page belongs to a certain category, and
the visual appearance bit that shows as a link to a cateogory page.

> >  [[!XYZ]]	- Mark page as belonging to XYZ and link to category
> >               page
> >
> >Then I'd also like some markup which creates a link to all the categories
> >the current page belongs to...
>
> Can you explain this?? How is this different from [[!XYZ]] [[!ABC]]?

I'll try. Here's a fake example of a page:

	(:!XYZ:)(:!ABC:)
	Categories: [[!]]
	Bla, bla
	Categories: [[!]]

where I pretend that [[!]] automatically creates links to all category
pages that the current page belongs to. In this example I define which
categories the page belongs to at the top, but have the links to the page
categories shown at *both* the top of the page and at the bottom of the
page.

> I guess I am unclear what problem you are trying to solve.

I think it would be convenient to be able to define which categories a
page belongs to separately from placing (visual) links to the category
pages. If I'd only used [[!...]] in the example above, I'd have something
like this:

	Categories: [[!XYZ]],[[!ABC]]
	Bla, bla
	Categories: [[!XYZ]],[[!ABC]]

where I have a "dependency" between the beginning and the end of the page.
If I decide to change the categories this page belongs to, I'll have to do
it both at the top of the page and at the end of the page.

> As I understand it, you want 4 options:
>
> a. a link that doesn't mark a page as being in a category
>       Category.SomeSubject

Sure (I'd use [[Category/SomeSubject]], but that's not important)

> b. a link that marks a page as being in a category
>       [[!SomeSubject]]

I think of this as a convenient "shortcut" for
	(:!SomeSubject:)[[Category/SomeSubject]]

> c. a reference to a category that isn't a link
>       `Category.SomeSubject or [=...=] or [@...@]

Que?

> d. a reference that marks a page as being in a category
>    but isn't a link
>       (:!SomeSubject:) proposed

Yes.

And also a directive or other method to automatically list all categories
that the current page belongs to. (I used [[!]] in the example above).

> What problem is (d) intended to solve, ie why do you want to do
> this and why does it need a new markup?

I hope the example above has explained it... otherwise maybe it helps if I
say that it would let me define the categories that the page belongs to in
only one place in the page code (assuming I have some other method to
create links to the categories of the current page).

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr