[Pmwiki-users] How to check out PmWiki 2 via CVS

chr@home.se chr
Mon Oct 25 15:36:16 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > > This would mean that someone checking out PmWiki would not get a local/
> > > directory, and would have to create it manually.
> >
> > What if pmwiki.php creates local/ and local/.htaccess at the same time it
> > tries to create wiki.d/?  And if local/ already exists, it skips creating
> > local/.htaccess.
>
> Then local and local/.htaccess will have the wrong ownerships.

I see, so local/ should belong to the user...

> > > I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but whatever we do would probably
> > > have to apply to cookbook/ and pub/css/ as well
> >
> > What is the purpose of cookbook/?
>
> It's the standard location to place cookbook recipes, as an alternative
> to 'local/'.

Um.. why not put them in a directory called local/cookbook?
Or a directory called local/scripts?

As I understand it pmwiki is *never* supposed to write to either of these
directories? (with the possible exception of .htaccess)

> > !! Idea for workaround
> >
> > We might be able to get something working by using several 'modules' for
> > the pmwiki base. The repository could look like this:
> > [details omitted]
>
> Likely veto.  To me it seems that someone who does a basic checkout of
> pmwiki from the CVS repository ought to get the same file structure
> that she would get from extracting the .tgz or .zip files.

Maybe the "basic checkout" could actually be a "module" defined in
CVSROOT/modules? It's been a while since I used that, but in principle it
allows you to check out several directory structures in one operation.
Have you ever used it?

> Also, I think that those who are doing a "standard PmWiki install" ought
> to be able to get everything in a single package rather than having to
> get it all piecemeal just to support this particular situation (which I
> don't think will be all that common).

The standard install.. you mean from a .tgz?

Btw, a friend (he uses pmwiki 1) said he really likes that there is a
"spatial" separation between pmwiki files and local configuration files. I
agree with this, but I'm slightly worried that we're losing that with a
cookbook/ and the pub/ directories.

> However, another approach might be to provide CVS tags to prevent the
> "cvs checkout" command from getting local/, cookbook/ and other locally
> configurable items.

Hmm... it might work for a specific release, but probably not for HEAD.

> Lastly, perhaps something can be done with some judicious .cvsignore
> files.

Like using .cvsignore to ignore local/ and cookbook/?  I don't think
that'll work if you do for instance do 'cvs update -d'.

> But it seems clear to me that cvs checkout ought to be kept simple.

True, but maybe it wasn't clear that I meant to use modules in the long
run. This should make it possible to use really simple cvs checkout.

/Christian

PS. It's really annoying with local/.cvsignore btw. In my local/ I don't
want it because I want to be notified if I've forgotten to add a file
there to my repository. However, if I do 'cvs update' from the directory
above local/, then cvs updates local/.cvsignore :-(

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr