[Pmwiki-users] skins

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Mon Oct 25 12:56:45 CDT 2004

At 23:47 24.10.2004, Pm wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:34:06PM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> > At 08:57 23.10.2004, Pm wrote:
> > >Actually, after thinking about this a bit more (and helping a couple of
> > >other users troubleshoot layouts) I've decided to try out a naming
> > >standard for skins in the pub/skins/ directory.
> >
> > Glad to read this !
>
>Well, don't celebrate just yet.

for me, it's not that a high priority - or even to get this changed anyway
cause I've got a working solution now - more or less in the was you
described. But it would take me one step further to standard-installation,
if it would be implemented.

I had to analyse a bit, before I could customize the skins. Cause I'm using
different wiki-fields with different skins, I was using variables to
address the templates's css (like you suggested for a possible v2 solution).
I haven't though that someone could have problems copying a directory. 1.
because I got used to it to much as an IT'ler and second I think with a
ftp-acces to your account it would be quite easy. How could pmwiki
installed otherwise ? there has to be a first copy, so there might be the
possibility to copy dirs later on. Ok, that depends of what skill you
exspect from an admin. There might be different point of views as well.

My opinion is, if you want to change the skin you've two possibilities:
1) install another one from the cookbook. Than it would be very helpfull
just to download the skin into the skin-dir (so the installation-dir should
already contain the skin's name as a dir = subdir of skins) and set one
pmwiki-var
This could be the prefered method for changing skins for non-IT-admins or
better: admins without css-skills

2) customize an existing skin. This I always would suggest to do in a copy,
cause otherwise your changes can get lost. And if you want to customize a
skin, then you definitly have to get in touch with css and learn a bit more
about it. (or receive some hints from the list)

For both ways it should be possible to write a (not to long) decoumentation

Knut