[Pmwiki-users] Re: any conclusion on catagories ?

John Rankin john.rankin
Sun Oct 24 18:22:39 CDT 2004

On Sunday, 24 October 2004 12:02 PM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>> > I think I'd actually prefer making it more explicit, using a directive
>> > like (:Category Comedy:) because it is really *more* than a link to a
>> > category page.
>>
>> Actually, it's not anything more than links to a category page.  Or, put
>> another way, what capabilities would the Category pages have that you
>> wouldn't want to make available to other pages?
>
>What I mean is that it is more than a link because that text is also used
>to define that a page to belongs a to a certain category. For instance, if
>the "directive" is hidden by being inside a comment, then a reader will
>never see the link so it is "not there". But the page still belongs to the
>category.  To me the true purpose of [[Category/XYZ]] is to be a *marker*,
>and the link aspect is a bonus.
>
>Another motivation to make it a directive btw, is that I think that would
>make it easier for you to have all category links look a certain way
>(through some stylesheet).
>
>/Christian

This was why I proposed a special markup:

    [[!XYZ]] as a shortcut for [[Category/XYZ]]

Three benefits:

1. It allows us to make a reference to [[Category/XYZ]] on a page which
   should not appear in the (:pagelist [[!XYZ]]:)

2. We can make the output become

   so all category links have the same style

3. It's easier for lazy typists like me.

--
JR