[Pmwiki-users] Why heirarchy?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 21 06:54:41 CDT 2004

[resending to pmwiki-users]

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 03:50:39PM -0700, Fred Chittenden wrote:
> It seems similar
> safeguards should be added to the wiki page naming parsing logic to prevent
> MyGoals.MyGoals from ever being created.

...except that this is actually a design feature in the current
version of PmWiki, to allow a group's default home page be the name
of the group and not just HomePage.

Regardless, that detail is not specific to the scenario I just described.
If someone had created MyGoals.HomePage then the same problem would have
existed (i.e., links to [[MyGoals]] would have automatically gone to
MyGoals.HomePage rather than {$Group}.MyGoals).  The only way to avoid
that would be to say that such links can *only* go to sibling pages, and
historically that's been a bit too restrictive relative to what people
want (indeed, it wouldn't work for the RecSoccer scenario you described).

I'm simply pointing out that until there's a clean and clear mechanism
for linking to pages in other groups, whether they're "subgroups" or
"parent groups", then these sorts of spooky-action-at-a-distance sorts
of things can occur.  With multiple group levels, it's even more likely
to occur than it currently is with just one group level.