[Pmwiki-users] Re: Why heirarchy?

chr@home.se chr
Wed Oct 20 14:20:35 CDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> At A&M Corpus Christi, the instructors had each student create a personal
> WikiGroup, and within the WikiGroup each student was to create a page
> called "MyGoals".  Students would do this by creating their home page,
> adding [[MyGoals]] to the page, clicking on the "non-existent page" link
> to create it, and off they go.
>
> Somehow, someone created a page called MyGoals.MyGoals, so that any
> students who didn't already have a MyGoals page suddenly found their
> [[MyGoals]] links redirecting them to this other page.  Worse, few
> of the students noticed that they were no longer in their personal
> WikiGroup, and began complaining that "someone else keeps editing my
> goals page" as multiple students ended up inadvertently linking to
> this other page instead of the one in their own WikiGroup.

That's interesting (and funny:). If this is a big problem, the only
solution I can think of right now (applicable for PmWiki 1&2), would be to
remove this automatic linking. Instead, we could allow [[/PmWiki]] as a
quick way to refer to the homepage of a group.

That's only one more character to type, so maybe that's not so bad?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr