[Pmwiki-users] Re: Why heirarchy?

chr@home.se chr
Tue Oct 19 16:30:24 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

Bah... I just realized an "obvious" reason for why you want a hiearchy.

With a hierarchy, you can introduce the ability to navigate it... going
up, down or laterally, all based on the inherent hierarchical structure.

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:55:59AM -0700, Fred Chittenden wrote:
> > 4000 youth players on several 400 hundred teams.  The most logical
> > structure would seem to be
> > *Rec Soccer
> > **Boys (with ages U7-U18)
> > ***U7
> > ****Schedule and Results
> > ****Team A
> > *****Roster
> > *****Practice schedule
> > *****Team News
> > [...]

If we implemented the structure above using long group names, we would
*manually* have to create all the links that allows us to navigate it.

If we implemented it based on a hierarchical framework, we could add an
"go to parent"-link to to each page, and also have it automatically list
any child pages.

Sigh... this is what's so annoying with wiki.lyx.org, having to manually
integrate a each new group into the navigation system manually. Especially
since there is a clear hierarchical relationsship between most of the
groups.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr