[Pmwiki-users] Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 18 12:19:46 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 01:52:34PM -0400, Stefan Candea wrote:
> > Let's suppose that I'm in the page Linux.Hardware.  Now I want to
> > link to the page Linux.Hardware.SoundCards.  What markup do I use to do
> > this?
>
> However, if groups are not pages as directories are not files
> then the above can never happen.

True, but this restriction would mean that we have to know in advance
if a particular page name is going to refer to a "directory/group"
or "file/pagecontent".  I.e., if Linux.Hardware starts out as a simple page
containing a list of popular hardware, and someone later decides that it
needs to be refactored into Linux.Hardware.SoundCards, Linux.Hardware.Printers,
etc., then there are a *lot* of links that have to be rewritten to make
this happen.

> * To link to Linux.Hardware.SoundCards we would have to use
> [[Hardware/SoundCards]] (i.e. in current context/group subgroup Hardware,
> page SoundCards) and this, even if our current page is called "Hardware"

This is likely to annoy authors, that moving from Hardware to any of
its subpages requires that 'Hardware' be repeated in each link.  Especially
if the page's name is on the longish side.  There needs to be a shortcut.

How does someone link from Linux.Hardware to Hardware.PowerTools?
We can't use [[Hardware/PowerTools]] because that would result in
Linux.Hardware.PowerTools.

How does someone link from Linux.Hardware.SoundCards back to Linux.Software?
We can't use [[Linux/Software]] because that would result in
Linux.Hardware.Linux.Software.

Again, there are obvious (to some) answers to these questions--I'm just
walking through the whole process one or two steps at a time to make
sure all of the bases get covered.  Have patience.  :-)