[Pmwiki-users] Re: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 18 11:17:30 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:13:46AM -0400, Stefan Candea wrote:
> For clarity and siplicity sake, and unless we have a better wheel to
> invent, the traditional directory reference (relative or absolute) should
> be applied.
>
> So [[A]] should refere only to the page within the group!  It makes it
> also simple and possible to do the search within a group (or below).
> Relative notation would be used for pages at a relative 'short distance',
> e.g. ../A or SubGroup/etc/A and absolute for the others.  This eliminates
> confusion and makes the hierarchy possible.

Nope, there's still confusion, or at least annoyance.

Let's suppose that I'm in the page Linux.Hardware.  Now I want to
link to the page Linux.Hardware.SoundCards.  What markup do I use to do this?
[[SoundCards]] won't work, because that would be Linux.SoundCards (i.e.,
"[[A]] should refer only to pages within the group").

**important thread topic note**

Based on historical experience, I think it is *very important* in this
particular thread/topic that questions, proposals, and responses be kept
very short--i.e., only one or two items per message--otherwise it's too hard
to keep track of all of the permutations.  Thus, in the above, although I
can anticipate what the likely answers are going to be and could
describe the associated pitfalls of each, I think it's better to simply
pose the question, await a (simple) response, and describe the
appropriate pitfall.  We can then backtrack to a different answer if
appropriate, and this will keep things easier to follow.  I'm hoping
that others in this thread will do the same -- i.e., please give *at most*
one or two questions/answers per message, so that we can have some hope of
keeping things straight.