[Pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.0.devel13 released

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Oct 14 16:13:41 CDT 2004

On Thursday, 14 October 2004 11:58 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>Without yet making any evaluation of the overall proposal, here's one
>item that popped into my head while scanning this...

One quick question, then a comment: I'm guessing that it will
be easy in a $MakePageNameFunction replacement to wikify the
group while leaving the name as entered. Yes?

I think that pointer is enough for me to give this a trial. Thanks.

>On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:25:58AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>>
>> - take WikiWords and make the page name as Wiki_Words; this
>>   avoids the serious problem of WikiWords and Wiki_Words
>>   becoming different pages
>
>I think this may just shift us to a different set of problems and
>set of exceptions... For example, PmWiki suddenly becomes Pm_Wiki,
>JohnMacDonald becomes John_Mac_Donald, NetWare and GroupWare become
>Net_Ware and Group_Ware, etc.

I'm not sure I agree.

In sites that space wiki words, under the current scheme an
author will be likely to write [[John McDonald]] and add a
[:title John McDonald:] directive. Similarly, [[NetWare]] and
[:title NetWare:].

In the alternative scheme, the author writes [[John McDonald]]
and [[NetWare]]; the [:title ...:] directives are not required.

In both schemes, writing JohnMcDonald and NetWare produce
John Mc Donald and Net Ware. So I see this more as a way to
reduce the need for [:title:] directives.

Writing [[War and Peace]] and getting a page called 'War and
Peace' seems very natural to me.

My thinking is that sites which join wiki words might use
the current scheme and sites which space wiki words might
use the alternative. Horses for courses rather than one being
better than the other.

--
JR