[Pmwiki-users] Re: Migration plans (was: v2 advanced tables direction)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Oct 3 23:26:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 03:24:21AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that we should probably make this
> kind of 'beta testing with fallback option' a standard part of the upgrade
> path.  Maybe the process could be described like this:
> # The wiki uses version 2.x, accessed through the normal URI
> # The admin installs 2.x.1 in parallel, accessed through some "beta-URI"
> # After testing, the normal URI gives you 2.x.1, and "old-URI" gives 2.x

Nah, too much effort.  Minor release upgrades should be a simple process--
generally just copy the new release over the existing one.  (And for those
running CVS, it should just be "cvs update".  :-)

Minor and major releases also tend to be easily reversed--i.e., if an
upgrade breaks, one can simply reinstall a previous version on top of the
upgraded one and everything is back to the way it was.  Indeed, this is
basically my criteria for numbering releases:  if it's fairly safe to
do an upgrade without a lot of testing, it's a minor release; otherwise
it gets a new major release number.

PmWiki 2.0 is a special upgrade in that once you start saving pages in 2.0
markup, you can't easily revert back to 1.0.  It's also special in that
the configuration variables and methods are slightly different.  So it's
really worth being able to run both versions in parallel for testing and
evaluation.

The ability to have multiple installations running in parallel has
always been there and will remain so--I'm just taking big advantage of
it to support 1.x->2.0 conversions.