[Pmwiki-users] WikiMarkupStandard WG mailing list

Mario Salzer mario
Sun Oct 3 19:54:10 CDT 2004

There once was a process started to standardize/harmonize/document on
a basic common WikiMarkup for everyone. It cooled down, but we try to
revive it by starting a mailing list:

  http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandardWorkingGroup

It hasn't begun and I expect, that all initial exchanges may be not
that interesting, and it could get a bit lengthy because of too many
votings and debates. I however invite anyone to join now or later
(there'll also be a final voting of course).

Of course this may be of no interest to you, as PmWiki is in itself
surely a useful tool to everyone of you. But I'd like to point
out that it was even better if we had such a standard WikiMarkup,
because WWW users are currently hindered to contribute to different
Wikis by the many divorced features.

This effort is not a means to force "THE ONLY ONE" markup on everybody
of course, it will only be a recommendation surely, still allowing
for the wide range of extensions (PmWiki has some good ones). It's
just that not every Wiki is supposed to support everything, and we'll
only negotiate the basics - WikiWords, bold, italic and thus won't
probably differ in PmWiki from what an eventual WMS then promotes.

Again: nothing has been decided yet, so everybody can send in personal
opinions (preferred markup) throughout the process. This is important,
so we'll get the best possible out (and as little incompatibilites as
possible).
Btw, the MIME media type "text/wiki; variant=pmwiki" is what it for
example could promote to use for PmWiki (if you ever adopt WebDav
or AtomApi) in the end - all markup variations shall be honoured this
way.

Best,
mario

(please Cc: or complain over there, I'm unsubscribing here again)