[Pmwiki-users] Acrobatics while typing [:...:] and math markup

chr@home.se chr
Fri Oct 1 03:46:16 CDT 2004

>     [:spacewikiwords:] [:joinwikiwords:] [:ignorewikiwords:]

This discussion was a while back, but it takes a bit of hand acrobatics
for me to type '[:' using a Swedish keyboard. I think Knut also mentioned
this. Although I suspect it's to late to change '[:' into something else,
I wondered if the following had been suggested:

	(:spacewikiwords:) (:joinwikiwords:) (:ignorewikiwords:)

It probably was, and if so, does anyone remember what the drawbacks were?

If there are no major drawbacks, and '[:...:]' is going to be kept as the
standard, I would probably still configure my sites to allow the use of
both notations. That's not so good from another point of view of course,
since searching for
	[:spacewikiwords:]
will fail if you entered it as (:spacewikiwords:).

!!! Math markup

Slightly related to this is the choice of markup for mathematics. I've
been using MimeTeX quite a bit recently, and it's a surprisingly efficient
way of getting forumlas into your page. What I'm trying to say is that
this should definitely be an integrated part of PmWiki, and we should
therefore think a little bit about what markup to use.

In that context, I should mention that surprisingly, the combination
isn't as bad as ad you would expect, since I type

	AltGr-{ AltGr-$

to produce '{$', which means I can keep my finger on the modifier key.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr