[Pmwiki-users] Re: Subpages markup

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Nov 2 15:41:19 CST 2004

On Wednesday, 3 November 2004 10:58 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 3 Nov 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> A simple example (others are on the link above). Suppose our
>> movie wiki contains TheItalianJob. Is this the '60s classic or
>> the '00s remake? One suggestion was to make the year a group
>> and put movies into groups by year. Since most movies don't
>> have multiple versions, an alternative is to use subpages.
>> On TheItalianJob we include links to [[*1968]] and [[*2004]].
>> The * tells pmwiki to make this a subpage of TheItalianJob.
>
>Is the [[The Italian Job 1968]] the same as [[The Italian
>Job*1968]]?

No it's not. For subpages to work, the page content needs to
announce to world+dog that 'I am a subpage'.

Thus in your example above, Film.TheItalianJob1968 is just a
page, whereas Film.TheItalianJob*1968 is a subpage of
Film.TheItalianJob.

For example, suppose I am on Film.TheItalianJob*1968 and
wish to refer to Film.TheItalianJob*2004. I write [[*2004]].

Without the * in the name, we don't have a way to tell pmwiki
what prefix to apply.

Similarly, if I want to find all the subpages for TheItalianJob
I can do a partial name search for 'TheItalianJob*'.

Or, suppose I write [[Mercury*element]]. This is just a link,
to a subpage that disambiguates the element from the planet.
We want the link text to be 'Mercury', so we need the * to
decide what to hide.

And a local AsSpaced function can control the way the name
displays. So you could, for example, display the title on
the Mercury*Element page as Mercury (element) if you wish.

You could probably come up with a scheme that didn't involve
putting the * into the name, but I think it's a lot easier
and clearer to include it.

I hope this helps clarify.

>/Christian
>
>--