[Pmwiki-users] Re: Going directly to a page

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sun May 23 20:14:11 CDT 2004

> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 11:25:17PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > OTOH, you'd have just as much fun searching for "/" wouldn't you?
> >
> > But we do have a scaling issue in general here... maybe a 12,000
page site
> > really should be implemented as a wiki farm?
>
> There's a PmWiki installation that has 25,000+ pages on it and that
> should definitely not be a wikifarm, so this heuristic isn't
universal.  :-)

> Pm

Wouldn't it be simple to limit the search results to say .. 100 pages?
Or in the case of searching for "/" .. make a special case and show 100
(or more) pages on the search page.  At the bottom, fix a "more" link to
show more searches.  All you need to record is the search "count" (id)
to know where to start from the next time.

I know there was some (long time ago) talk about not improving the
search features any further due to their being a bunch of existing 3rd
party search engines out there already. Also, there's been a trend (even
on big corporate websites) to "just use google", since it's faster than
any local search scripts anyways.  That being said, I'd still like to
continuted enhancements to the PmWiki Search ...  When ever I think
about "re-inventing the wheel" .. I think it's worth while for PmWiki
add-ons.  PmWiki is an excellent product, it deserves to have it's own
(sophisticated) search engine (and other add-ons).

-S