[Pmwiki-users] $UrlPathPattern defined/commented

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun May 23 08:58:54 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 06:35:49AM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> >Finally, the second part of the pattern is used to prevent
> >a trailing period, comma, or question mark from being included
> >in the uri, since these will usually be the end of a sentence
> >or phrase rather than the last character of a uri.
>
> because people might link to incredibly stupidly long URLs from things
> like Mapquest or whatever, which might include some of these characters
> (the period, comma, question mark, and other things *strictly* allowed
> by convention) -- shouldn't they be allowed within [[URL]] markup, so
> that the wiki doesn't break links people want to "force"?

PmWiki doesn't exclude period, comma, or question mark from being
included in a URL, it only excludes them from being the last character
of the URL.  Sure, Mapquest and other places have URLs that include some
of these characters, but I've yet to find a real URL that end in period,
comma, or question mark.  However, I see tons of places where wiki
authors will put a URL at the end of a sentence and immediately follow
it with a period, comma, or question mark that should not be part
of the URL.

> or PmWiki
> can check for , . ? strictly followed by a space character -- in which
> case they are not part of the link, but part of text syntax.

PmWiki effectively does this already -- but more robustly -- it looks
for , . ? followed by something not allowed in a URL (including space).
If the , . or ?  is followed by something that's allowed in a URL,
then the , . or ? are part of the URL.