[Pmwiki-users] Re: beginners fight

Crisses crisses
Sun May 23 04:46:48 CDT 2004

On May 23, 2004, at 5:56 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:

> I added two examples here:
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LineContinuation
>
> they should clarify the difference between '\' and '\\'

I don't think the problem here is *how* to use the syntax, but WHY
that's the syntax.

there's so many reasons why that predate my involvement ;)

one is because wikis are used by programmers to facilitate documenting
their programs so that the world can use them...often we grab emails
from this list, for example, and less re-formatting of the text
afterwards is a good thing.
\ is the "continue with the next line" in several programming languages
and thus it's been adopted into the wiki so that program code can be
tossed straight from a programmer's text editor into a wiki...which is
the main reason I think that indenting at the beginning of a line
causes <pre>formatted text.

things like that.

Crisses