[Pmwiki-users] Feature-request: deleting revisions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri May 14 15:55:42 CDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 03:59:29PM -0700, Steven Leite wrote:
> Just an idea, but in se-Mod Wiki, you log-in with your use-id and
> password (at the optional log-in page).  That set's a cookie on your
> computer.  Now when you visit any other pages, it recognizes you as
> Admin (if you cookie username/password matches the one for admin).
> Depending on whether you are admin or not, the footer will show extra
> options (like delete this page, rename this page, etc).
>
> This is a simple and effective approach to site administration that
> doesn't involve some elaborite administrative control panel or something
> like that.

Some thoughts:
1.  It still does involve some administrative *scripting*, because
    the scripts have to be written to handle things like removing pages,
    renaming pages, etc.  And there are still some control panel issues
    that exist -- clicking on a "rename this page/rename these pages" link
    still requires there to be a box prompting for what the page(s)
    should be renamed to.
2.  Having links appear on pages based on a user's authorization is not
    always that simple when customized skins or templates are involved.
    However, I could envision using a CSS 'admin' class to suppress
    the display of admin-type functions based on a user's authorization.
    In a template one could do
        <a class='admin' href='...'>Some admin function</a>
    and have some PHP code output a CSS style as
        .admin { display:none; }
    for those users who are not logged in as 'admins'.  The links would
    still be in the page source, but wouldn't show up in a typical user's
    browser.
3.  Note that almost any sort of dynamic modification of the output
    based on user identity can make generating cached versions of
    pages a lot more difficult.  FWIW.