[Pmwiki-users] developers history

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue May 11 12:57:02 CDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:55:58AM +0100, J. Meijer wrote:
> It would be nice to hear a little recap of the pmwiki history as it
> developed from a personal point of view. There are probably a lot of new
> pmwiki users/developers listening here. From the change log it is apparent
> that John Rankin and Scott Duff were there from the beginning. How did the
> group integrate?

Quick background:  Pm was my boss at a research institute on the
campus of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMUCC)

Here's a brief timeline of the beginning:

Aug  6, 2001	- I installed a wiki to use for software documentation
		  and showed it to Pm and others at work
Aug ??, 2001	- Pm buys and reads "The Wiki Way"
Aug 15, 2001	- Pm shows off his newly created wiki software (pmwiki)
		  We (of course) start using pmwiki for everything
Aug 17, 2001	- A kernel of PmWikiPhilosophy is revealed:
		  http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Scott/PmMail  :-)
Aug 23, 2001	- PmWiki is used by the TAMUCC Computer Science Dept.

and the rest, as they say, is history. Pmwiki didn't have groups to
begin with but they were there in Jan 2002 according to the emails I
have handy. Pmwiki got lots of use around the TAMUCC campus during the
spring of 2002 and at some point in there Pm registered pmichaud.com and
put pmwiki on the internet. John Rankin was, I think, the first
"outsider" to use pmwiki and he had lots of design ideas. Pm basically
did (does) all of the development while the rest of us just provided
ideas and feedback, etc.

> With pmwiki appearing in google adds and reviews being published, PmWiki
> should probably go into 1.0 soon.

Why?  These things are completely orthogonal if you ask me.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com