[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Email Obfuscation Ad-on Development

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun May 9 05:57:32 CDT 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Steven Leite wrote:

> > [[hide-mailto:chr at home.se]]
> >
> > and this is converted into an encrypted format
> >
> > [[hidden-mailto:sdfl?ajsfdljasdf]]
> >
> > that way the user gets a choice.
> >
> > /Christian
>
> Funny you should mention that .. [[hidden-mailto:#dfjk34143]] is
> precisely the format that I am useing,

I pretty sure I took that from one of your posts...

> however, I belive the choice should be up to the administrator, not the
> user.  The site admin can decided whether to use the plug-in or not.

Couldn't the choice be "three-way", i.e the administrator can choose to:

* No obfuscation at all (the default in standard PmWiki)

* User-controlled obfuscation, i.e. the user may write
	[[hide-mailto:chr at home.se]]
  which will be obfuscated. For completeness, we introduce a directive that
  regardless of setting will produce a visible e-mail address.
	[[visible-mailto:chr at home.se]]

* Automatic obfuscation, i.e. all mailto:'s are obfuscated
  automatically. But [[visible-mailto:]] are kept as they are.

> then the script should obfiscate it (unless some other parameter/option
> is specified).  I can always build in some options whereby the script
> would leave certain instances alone, (the [[= .. username at domain.com ...
> =] for example).

See my suggestion about '[[visible-mailto:]]' above -- it's more
explicit and easier to understand for a user I think.

> I think most browser support basic javascript these days.

I don't think 'links' (a text-based browser supports java), and then there
are people who for various reasons (security etc) don't want to have java
enabled. Personally, I've been keeping myself from adding any java to my
wiki site for these reasons. (which is a pity, since you can do so many cool
things with a little bit of java script).

Another problem with javascripts is that people who write javascripts for IE
tend to forget that there are other browsers, and IE isn't exactly standards
compliant...

/Christian