Email Obfuscation Ad-on Development, was: [Pmwiki-users] Intercepting $_POST['text']

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat May 8 09:55:57 CDT 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 02:26:11PM +0200, Patrick Ogay wrote:
> some simple way to obfuscate would be:
> mailto:p@ddy.ch

One comment -- I've often seen this mentioned as a way to obfuscate
email addresses, but I would think that it's fairly trivial for address
harvesting programs spidering the web to be able to de-obfuscate such
addresses and that they're likely already doing so.  In Perl, one can
simply do something like

    $text =~ s/&#(\d{1,3});/chr($1)/e;

to convert the &#... sequences back into 'mailto:...' before scanning
the text for potential vict.. er, addresses.