[Pmwiki-users] Re: Email Obfuscation Ad-on Development

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat May 8 06:51:31 CDT 2004

> some simple way to obfuscate would be:

mailto:p@ddy&#4
6;ch

> pmwiki displays the the e-mail-address, but it seems to be impossible
> create a link
> tests:
> http://www.basel-inside.ch/pmwiki-0.6.9/pmwiki.php/DDY/CmsWeb
>
> pog

Let's assume you actually got your example to work .. now what about
when the spam bot follows the "Edit This Page" link .. won't it find the
un-obfiscated email address there?

Any method of obfuscation will do just fine.  One could even write a
script with several methods of obfuscation and the admin can choose
which one to use with a simple variable.

The problem is integrating the method with PmWiki, and being mindful of
the EditThisPage link.

I have a nearly working prototype (I described this in a previous post)
.. the biggest problem I'm having is getting my regexpression to
properly match the email address.

Also, I'm particularly concerend with 2 things:

1)  If somebody enters [=mailto:nobody at nowhere.com=] .. then the add-on
should respect the [= .. =] and not try to obfuscate it.
2)  Security.  If the script just matches mailto: ? @ ? .. then
technically, somebody could insert some <script type=text/javascript>
lets have some fun </script> and the ad-on won't know the better.

I haven't got that far yet though .. I'm still working on fine tuning
the regexp to find to flavours of mailto:.

So, consider this a plee for help.  I need the following.

1)  detect "blah blah mailto:some at address.com blah blah" and replace it
with x
2) detect "blah blah [[mailto: some at address.com Some Text]]" and replace
it with y