[Pmwiki-users] Re: Search results that point to tag instead of page

Ted Stern stern+pmwiki
Tue May 4 15:56:24 CDT 2004

On 4 May 2004 at 14:46 PDT, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 02:34:05PM -0700, Ted Stern wrote:
>> I have a site that has lots of tags and entries scattered across a lot of
>> pages.
>> [...]
>> I'd like to show the text immediately after the found-tag in the search
>> results.
>
> I've thought about adding this sort of enhancement but haven't come up with
> a good way to do it -- in particular, deciding what portion of text to
> excerpt and eliminating markup from the excerpted text has been a bit of a
> challenge (although my plans for 0.7 would make this sort of thing easier,
> but 0.7 is a ways off yet).

Basically, the idea would be that a page could have a number of threads on it.
Somebody starts a thread and others add to it.  Sort of like a blog, actually.

What one wants for this is

- a simplified edit form to add a comment to the thread, as you mentioned
  earlier today, plus

- Show all most recently changed threads.

Probably the most natural format for displaying recently modified threads
would be something like

    * "X characters of text at start of thread ..." (Y comments total)
      had new comment
      "X characters at beginning of latest comment ..." \
      on <date>.

The first quote excerpt would be a link to the start of the thread, the second
quote excerpt would be a link to the latest comment.

--
 Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
 Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal
 (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)