[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: [[include: ... ]] part of a page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue May 4 14:49:18 CDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 04:05:22PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > I'm working on an implementation, but the above brings up a question--
> > what constitutes a "paragraph" in the above?
>
> In my mind, I've used [[para:...] as including:
>  - the line with the anchor and all subsequent lines that start
>    with a [[:alnum:]], e.g. the line may not:
>    a) Be an empty line
>    b) Start with space (i.e. it's really a preformatted line)
>    c) Start with '!', '*', or '#'
> The allowed characters is probably more than just [[:alnum:]], i.e.
> they should include: '.', ':' and ';' as well. To be honest, I've never
> really thought about this before.

Unfortunately, this begets one of those "slippery slope" situations.
If '*' and '#' are disallowed, then clearly we should also exclude ':'
and '-' for definition lists and indents.  But we should probably
include '%' (wikistyles), single quotes, square brackets, and curly
braces because they occur in inline text.   But even here things get
dicey--how about 'Q:', 'A:', and '[[table]]'?  That's why I think
I prefer something more consistent and easier to explain--either
the current line, or all lines up to the next blank line.  So far
I'm going with just the current line.

BTW, for better or worse, using just the current line also makes
for a natural "stop" character similar to `. -- i.e., if I have
SomePage with

   [[#anchor]]
   The product comes in many flavors
   such as apple, cherry, banana, and grape.

then [[include:SomePage#anchor]] returns "The product comes in many flavors"
without the "such as..." part.  Perhaps this will be too confusing for
people?  If so, I need some alternatives.