[Pmwiki-users] Wiki Article in IX

Reimer Behrends behrends
Wed Mar 31 05:21:03 CST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 01:43:55AM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
[...]
> Ok, now that I found somebody who reads this paper on a regular basis,
> I've done some translating. I hope no one has done that yet...
>
> It's on http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/Articles

Some things in this article scare me:

* The assumption that using a (presumably MySQL) database on a
  virtual shared server is any safer than storing data in files. Let's
  put it this way: Shared servers offer virtually no security against
  other accounts on the same server when you run anything under the
  Apache uid (which includes PHP and most normal CGI scripts).

* The suggestion to use PHP as CGI as a safety measure, presumably
  using some kind of setuid mechanism (for those who don't know, the CGI
  version derives several critical pieces of information, including the
  script that is to be executed, from environment variables, which are
  about the easiest thing in the world to manipulate). While I'm using
  the CGI version of PHP in such an environment myself, I made sure to
  only call it via a wrapper script that sets all critical environment
  variables to hardcoded values.

* I'm not sure where the article gets the idea that PmWiki allows
  write access to PHP scripts, to be honest, except for a few
  brief moments during installation.

			Reimer Behrends