[Pmwiki-users] Capturing vs Refactoring (was: Developer Question)

Tom Hoover l-pmwiki-users
Mon Mar 22 19:12:50 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:48:15PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:
> > Cookbook/HomePage:
> >
> >   The PmWiki Cookbook contains recipes and examples for customizing
> >   PmWiki in lots of different ways.
>
> But I think we are talking about tips for developing PmWiki add-ons
> (extensions to PmWiki, hence, indirectly these would be Tips for PmWiki
> Development).
>
> Definately belongs in the Development section.

Not a problem...y'all convinced me.  BTW- it only took me about 60 seconds
to move it to the Development group.

  The following is not directed at Steven, but all of us...

One point I think we're all missing here.  This is a _wiki_, which means
that it's easy to edit (by anyone), easy to cross-reference, and easy to
make any other necessary corrections.  If you can think of a better way
to categorize, or format, something...just do it!  :-)

The main reason that I use a personal wiki, is to easily _capture_
information before it disappears (the ease of editing is secondary).  In
fact, on my personal wiki, most info is initially captured into an
"Inbox" group.  Before using a wiki, I would never get around to
"capturing", because it often took too much time to perfectly categorize
the data.  I now separate the "capture" and "categorize/cleanup" steps.
Even if I haven't gotten around to refactoring a particular page, a
quick "search" is all I need.

AppendWikiPage is not meant to replace refactoring...it is designed
simply as a "capture" tool.  It is not the only way to capture data, but
it is an easy way.  If anyone wants to use it, feel free.  Let's just
not lose any of the "good" stuff by initially spending too much time
trying to find the perfect Group.Page.  I'd rather capture the good
stuff, and cleanup as we have the time.  If you're ever bored, just
search for "RefactorMe" and have at it!  :-)