[Pmwiki-users] PmWikiDataStore - Using a class for page file i/o.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sun Mar 21 22:40:21 CST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:17:17PM -0800, Greg Morgan wrote:

>    [1]http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/PmWikiDataStore
>    I've  just  finished  a  patch  for  PmWiki  that  I was hoping to get
>    included in the next release.
>    ______________________________________________________________________
>
>    I'm working on two add-ons for [2]PmWiki
>     1. [3]XML-RPC support using the vpwiki API.
>     2. Allowing  as  an  option  to use an SQL database to store pages as
>        opposed to the current file based method.
>
>    While  writing  the  XML-RPC  module  I  realized  I was going to have
>    duplicate  most of the functionality in the handle_post function, if I
>    wanted  to  update pages and keep the page revisions current. That and
>    there's no way to override the existing ReadPage[4]? and WritePage[5]?
>    methods  to  allow for other means of storing pages. So what I did was
>    create  a  class called WikiDataStore[6]?.

WikiDataStore looks a little too complex for my tastes for inclusion
in the base code--perhaps we can simplify it down a bit?  I appreciate
the OO approach to doing this, but all of this just seems a bit over
the top to me for what needs to be accomplished.

OTOH, I don't mind providing variables to override ReadPage and
WritePage-- that's pretty easy and I've been planning to eventually
do that anyway.

Isn't there a way to write some XML-RPC glue to call HandlePost
with the needed information rather than having to duplicate it?
Or, I could abstract the relevant details of HandlePost into a
separate function that's more easily called by an XML-RPC handler.

Is there somewhere that I can get the details on the vpwiki API?

>    NOTE: $UserName & $Password not currently implemented.

Unfortunately there's no way I can put anything in PmWiki that would
remove password support--it would totally break too many existing
systems.